From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newins "-" for standard input?
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:01:49
1 On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Now that "dosed" is going to be banned, what would people think of
5 >>> "newins" (and the other "new*" commands) accepting "-" as the first
6 >>> argument?
7 >
8 >> There's a slightly different variation in exheres-0: as well as do*
9 >> and new*, there's also here*, which you use like this:
10 >
11 >> hereins foo <<'END'
12 >> stuff
13 >> END
14 >
15 > Why would we need a new command for this? The minus sign denoting
16 > standard input is fairly common with other utilities.
17 >
18 >> It magically barfs, rather than hanging indefinitely, if you forget
19 >> to give it some input.
20 >
21 > I guess the same could be done for "newins -", if you think that it is
22 > necessary (test for stdin being a terminal?). But I don't really see
23 > the point of it, since such a mistake would be noticed immediately
24 > when testing the ebuild.
25
26 No, they aren't 'noticed immediately'. The ebuild hangs and then the
27 author spends 10 minutes trying to figure out why. If its trivial to
28 implement..I don't see a downside to such a feature.
31 >> The rationale for giving it a new name rather than overloading an
32 >> existing one is that some of the existing do* utilities don't take
33 >> just a single simple filename, so overloading would make the command
34 >> line somewhat convoluted.
35 >
36 > It doesn't make much sense to specify "-" as an argument for "do*",
37 > because the command would not know under which name the file should be
38 > installed. OTOH, all "new*" commands have exactly two arguments, so we
39 > could allow "-" for the first argument.
40 >
41 > Ulrich