From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Large files still in files/
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:37:15
1 On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 12:52 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 18:57 +0200, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
4 > >
5 > >>>I kind of like this idea, however, I think it's idealistic. Patches need
6 > >>>to be modified very frequently. Especially when we combine multiple
7 > >>>patches and make them all work with USE flags.
8 > >>>
9 > >>>A great deal of our patches really are written specifically work with our
10 > >>>ebuilds.
11 > >>>
12 > >>>What is the real percentage of space usage from compressed or uncompressed
13 > >>>patches? How big of a problem is it?
14 > >>>
15 > >>
16 > >>Also the problem is that especially if you have a rapid changing
17 > >>package, where the patches changes a lot, putting it in distfiles is a
18 > >>pita, as you have to scp it, then wait an hour to 3 depending on how
19 > >>lucky you are, and then only commit. And especially if you forgetful
20 > >>like me, you tend to forget to either come back and commit the new
21 > >>version/revision, or to copy the new tarball to distfiles ...
24 > > This was why we were asking for a "packages.gentoo.org" that could
25 > > either be a single or multiple machines. It could even replace
26 > > the /space/distfiles-local, as everything from it could be pushed out to
27 > > be synched to distfiles. This would make them immediately available,
28 > > and would alleviate the problem. Once the main distfiles mirrors got
29 > > the files, they could be deleted from packages.gentoo.org
30 >
31 > You mean patches.gentoo.org. Yes, ideally this is something we need to setup. I
32 > recall having this topic a few months back, but I forgot where it left off.
33 > Right now dev.g.o is a single point of failure. If it dies, everything you host
34 > there dies.
37 Well, missed this - I am all for it when some infra monkey gets the
38 time :)
42 Martin Schlemmer
43 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
44 Cape Town, South Africa