From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Large files still in files/
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:55:47
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 18:57 +0200, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
3 >
4 >>>I kind of like this idea, however, I think it's idealistic. Patches need
5 >>>to be modified very frequently. Especially when we combine multiple
6 >>>patches and make them all work with USE flags.
7 >>>
8 >>>A great deal of our patches really are written specifically work with our
9 >>>ebuilds.
10 >>>
11 >>>What is the real percentage of space usage from compressed or uncompressed
12 >>>patches? How big of a problem is it?
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >>Also the problem is that especially if you have a rapid changing
16 >>package, where the patches changes a lot, putting it in distfiles is a
17 >>pita, as you have to scp it, then wait an hour to 3 depending on how
18 >>lucky you are, and then only commit. And especially if you forgetful
19 >>like me, you tend to forget to either come back and commit the new
20 >>version/revision, or to copy the new tarball to distfiles ...
23 > This was why we were asking for a "packages.gentoo.org" that could
24 > either be a single or multiple machines. It could even replace
25 > the /space/distfiles-local, as everything from it could be pushed out to
26 > be synched to distfiles. This would make them immediately available,
27 > and would alleviate the problem. Once the main distfiles mirrors got
28 > the files, they could be deleted from packages.gentoo.org
29
30 You mean patches.gentoo.org. Yes, ideally this is something we need to setup. I
31 recall having this topic a few months back, but I forgot where it left off.
32 Right now dev.g.o is a single point of failure. If it dies, everything you host
33 there dies.
36 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
37 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operational Manager
38
39 ---
40 Public GPG key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
41 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
42
43 ramereth/irc.freenode.net