From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Large files still in files/
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:48:34
1 On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 18:57 +0200, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > > I kind of like this idea, however, I think it's idealistic. Patches need
3 > > to be modified very frequently. Especially when we combine multiple
4 > > patches and make them all work with USE flags.
5 > >
6 > > A great deal of our patches really are written specifically work with our
7 > > ebuilds.
8 > >
9 > > What is the real percentage of space usage from compressed or uncompressed
10 > > patches? How big of a problem is it?
13 > Also the problem is that especially if you have a rapid changing
14 > package, where the patches changes a lot, putting it in distfiles is a
15 > pita, as you have to scp it, then wait an hour to 3 depending on how
16 > lucky you are, and then only commit. And especially if you forgetful
17 > like me, you tend to forget to either come back and commit the new
18 > version/revision, or to copy the new tarball to distfiles ...
19
20 This was why we were asking for a "packages.gentoo.org" that could
21 either be a single or multiple machines. It could even replace
22 the /space/distfiles-local, as everything from it could be pushed out to
23 be synched to distfiles. This would make them immediately available,
24 and would alleviate the problem. Once the main distfiles mirrors got
25 the files, they could be deleted from packages.gentoo.org
28 Chris Gianelloni
30 Games - Developer
31 Gentoo Linux