From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Large files still in files/
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 16:54:15
1 On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 20:25 +0000, Cory Visi wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 01:10:24PM -0500, Anthony de Boer wrote:
3 > > Mark Loeser wrote:
4 > > > There's also quite a large amount of binary files still in the tree. A
5 > > > lot of them seem to be compressed patches. I'm not sure what should be
6 > > > done with those, but I thought putting binary files into the tree was
7 > > > discouraged unless absolutely necessary. Lots of 4k compressed patches
8 > > > doesn't seem to be something absolutely necessary.
9 > >
10 > > Tying this to the Portage-tree collection-copyright issue, it might be a
11 > > good idea for all third-party-sourced patches, with e-mail headers or
12 > > other such authorship/source/copyright information still intact at the
13 > > start (and happily skipped by the patch command), to be gzipped and put
14 > > in distfiles, and the tree itself to be reserved for stuff written
15 > > specifically for the Gentoo project.
16 > >
17 > > This does still leave large Gentoo-supplied patches in question; I'm
18 > > uncomfortable with the idea of us getting *that* far from the upstream
19 > > sources, though.
20 >
21 > I kind of like this idea, however, I think it's idealistic. Patches need
22 > to be modified very frequently. Especially when we combine multiple
23 > patches and make them all work with USE flags.
24 >
25 > A great deal of our patches really are written specifically work with our
26 > ebuilds.
27 >
28 > What is the real percentage of space usage from compressed or uncompressed
29 > patches? How big of a problem is it?
32 Also the problem is that especially if you have a rapid changing
33 package, where the patches changes a lot, putting it in distfiles is a
34 pita, as you have to scp it, then wait an hour to 3 depending on how
35 lucky you are, and then only commit. And especially if you forgetful
36 like me, you tend to forget to either come back and commit the new
37 version/revision, or to copy the new tarball to distfiles ...
40 Martin Schlemmer
41 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
42 Cape Town, South Africa