From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Access to DRM render nodes from portage sandbox?
Date: Wed, 09 May 2018 17:19:52
1 On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 12:34 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 11:51 PM, Dennis Schridde <devurandom@×××.net>
4 > wrote:
5 > > Hello!
6 > >
7 > > I see sandbox violations similar to "ACCESS DENIED: open_wr: /dev/dri/
8 > > renderD128" pop up for more and more packages, probably since OpenCL
9 > becomes
10 > > used more widely. Hence I would like to ask: Could we in Gentoo treat
11 > GPUs
12 > > just like CPUs and allow any process to access render nodes (i.e. the
13 > GPUs
14 > > compute capabilities via the specific interface the Linux kernel's DRM
15 > offers
16 > > for that purpose) without sandbox restrictions?
17 > >
18 > > --Dennis
19 > >
20 > > See-Also: https://bugs.gentoo.org/654216
21 >
22 > This seems like a bad idea. With CPUs we've had decades to work out
23 > how to isolate processes and prevent them from taking down the system.
24 >
25 > GPUs are not there yet. It's simple to trigger an unrecoverable GPU
26 > hang and not much harder to turn it into a full system lock up.
29 > This is not safe.
32 Is the sandbox considered a security boundary? Certainly in earlier
33 (LD_PRELOAD based) implementation it was not.
34 Instead it was intended to protect the build environment from leaks (e.g.
35 accessing unwanted host state in the build env.)
36
37 Sure it also in theory prevented build environments from writing to the
38 host; but it didn't do a very secure job of it.
39
40 -A