From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Access to DRM render nodes from portage sandbox?
Date: Wed, 09 May 2018 16:34:36
1 On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 11:51 PM, Dennis Schridde <devurandom@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Hello!
3 >
4 > I see sandbox violations similar to "ACCESS DENIED: open_wr: /dev/dri/
5 > renderD128" pop up for more and more packages, probably since OpenCL becomes
6 > used more widely. Hence I would like to ask: Could we in Gentoo treat GPUs
7 > just like CPUs and allow any process to access render nodes (i.e. the GPUs
8 > compute capabilities via the specific interface the Linux kernel's DRM offers
9 > for that purpose) without sandbox restrictions?
10 >
11 > --Dennis
12 >
13 > See-Also: https://bugs.gentoo.org/654216
14
15 This seems like a bad idea. With CPUs we've had decades to work out
16 how to isolate processes and prevent them from taking down the system.
17
18 GPUs are not there yet. It's simple to trigger an unrecoverable GPU
19 hang and not much harder to turn it into a full system lock up.
20
21 This is not safe.