From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Access to DRM render nodes from portage sandbox?
Date: Wed, 09 May 2018 17:10:42
1 On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 12:34 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 11:51 PM, Dennis Schridde <devurandom@×××.net> wrote:
3 >> Hello!
4 >>
5 >> I see sandbox violations similar to "ACCESS DENIED: open_wr: /dev/dri/
6 >> renderD128" pop up for more and more packages, probably since OpenCL becomes
7 >> used more widely. Hence I would like to ask: Could we in Gentoo treat GPUs
8 >> just like CPUs and allow any process to access render nodes (i.e. the GPUs
9 >> compute capabilities via the specific interface the Linux kernel's DRM offers
10 >> for that purpose) without sandbox restrictions?
11 >>
12 >> --Dennis
13 >>
14 >> See-Also: https://bugs.gentoo.org/654216
15 >
16 > This seems like a bad idea. With CPUs we've had decades to work out
17 > how to isolate processes and prevent them from taking down the system.
18 >
19 > GPUs are not there yet. It's simple to trigger an unrecoverable GPU
20 > hang and not much harder to turn it into a full system lock up.
21 >
22 > This is not safe.
25 It's worth noting that the default rules shipped with udev assign mode
26 0666 to the /dev/dri/renderD* device nodes. So, outside of a sanbox
27 environment, any user may access these devices.
28
29 This was merged as part of this PR: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/7112