From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Re: GLEP 26 -- Handling kernels with portage
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 11:31:39
1 Nathaniel McCallum posted
2 <1083554281.28957.22.camel@××××××××××××××××××××.com>, excerpted below, on
3 Sun, 02 May 2004 23:18:02 -0400:
4
5 >> > Yes. This GLEP is basically a reworking of genkernel into portage.
6 >>
7 >> Yes you have seen the new work? And no, you don't like it? Or yes, you
8 >> like it and think it can help out? Confused here... :)
9 >
10 > I do like the current process. It just needs to be integrated into
11 > portage. We need to be able to have easy building of binary kernel
12 > packages. We need a one step build for users, rather than two step
13 > portage first then genkernel.
14 >
15 >> > Please understand it is bad design to have two build systems.
16
17 I'm just a Gentoo newbie, here, but this is my opinion, FWIW..
18
19 The fact that the kernel remains an exception to the normal build
20 process is a GOOD thing, IMO. It accentuates its uniqueness and extreme
21 customizability (think the impossible to support with use flags thing),
22 and the fact that without it, you are dead-in-the-water.
23
24 I do NOT think that having all traces of a kernel, both the binary (and
25 modules) and its source tree removed with emerge unmerge would be a good
26 thing. Having to remove the pieces manually again accentuates the
27 differences and the fact that this is NOT just another ebuild on the
28 system.
29
30 I might as well have the same opinion about glibc as well, were it not so
31 standardized, due to the fact that a modern system is about as helpless
32 without it as it is without a bootable kernel. However, it happens to be
33 close enough to monolithic (unlike the kernel with its modules), with few
34 enough fast-changing hardware dependencies (unlike the kernel) and a slow
35 enough significant upgrade cycle (unlike the kernel), that it's convenient
36 to do a source2binary ebuild for, and the advantages of doing it that way
37 outweigh the disadvantages (unlike the kernel, IMO).
38
39 People choose Gentoo because they like the customizability. With
40 genkernel providing a solution for those that don't want to get /that/
41 into customizing, while still accentuating the fact that the kernel
42 /really/ /is/ different, I simply see no reason (other than the security
43 thing, definitely a valid point, but addressable on its own separately) to
44 integrate full kernel handling into portage, and overarching reasons NOT
45 to do so, including BOTH the difficulty of doing so, AND the benefits of
46 NOT doing so.
50 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
51 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
52 Benjamin Franklin
57 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list