From: Florian Schmaus <flow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Removing the distinction between UNCONFIRMED and CONFIRMED bugs
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 13:59:35
1 On 03/12/2022 14.50, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2022-12-03 at 14:45 +0100, Florian Schmaus wrote:
3 >> I think having UNCONFIRMED / CONFIRMED *helps* the issue reporter, and
4 >> other (affected) persons, to decide if they need to "chase" the issue's
5 >> assigned entity.
6 >>
7 >> Assume looking at the open bugs list of a developer. If the developer
8 >> has old bugs in UNCONFIRMED state, you may want to issue a friendly
9 >> ping. Sure, strictly speaking, this would require all bugs to drop back
10 >> to UNCONFIMRED when the bug assignee changes. But even without such an
11 >> implicit mechanism, those two states provide some value.
12 >
13 > I don't understand how UNCONFIRMED/CONFIRMED makes any difference here.
14 > If I file a bug against some package, it is CONFIRMED by default.
15 > If an unprivileged user files it, it's UNCONFIRMED. In both cases
16 > the assignee didn't do anything.
17
18 The assignee not doing anything keeps the bug UNCONFIRMED if it is
19 filled by an unprivileged user. That makes the bug distinguishable from
20 a bug that got "verified" by the assignee.
21
22 Yes, if *you* (as dev) fill a bug, then it is implicitly CONFIRMED
23 (whether or not that is sensible is a different discussion). I do not
24 see how this would invalidate my case, though.
25
26 - Flow