From: Mike Pagano <mpagano@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Removing the distinction between UNCONFIRMED and CONFIRMED bugs
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 16:09:13
1 On 12/3/22 08:59, Florian Schmaus wrote:
2 > On 03/12/2022 14.50, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 2022-12-03 at 14:45 +0100, Florian Schmaus wrote:
4 >>> I think having UNCONFIRMED / CONFIRMED *helps* the issue reporter, and
5 >>> other (affected) persons, to decide if they need to "chase" the issue's
6 >>> assigned entity.
7 >>>
8 >>> Assume looking at the open bugs list of a developer. If the developer
9 >>> has old bugs in UNCONFIRMED state, you may want to issue a friendly
10 >>> ping. Sure, strictly speaking, this would require all bugs to drop back
11 >>> to UNCONFIMRED when the bug assignee changes. But even without such an
12 >>> implicit mechanism, those two states provide some value.
13 >>
14 >> I don't understand how UNCONFIRMED/CONFIRMED makes any difference here.
15 >> If I file a bug against some package, it is CONFIRMED by default.
16 >> If an unprivileged user files it, it's UNCONFIRMED. In both cases
17 >> the assignee didn't do anything.
18 >
19 > The assignee not doing anything keeps the bug UNCONFIRMED if it is
20 > filled by an unprivileged user. That makes the bug distinguishable from
21 > a bug that got "verified" by the assignee.
22 >
23 > Yes, if *you* (as dev) fill a bug, then it is implicitly CONFIRMED
24 > (whether or not that is sensible is a different discussion). I do not
25 > see how this would invalidate my case, though.
26 >
27 > - Flow
30 The kernel may be a special case, but personally I use unconfirmed and don't 'confirm' it until it's determined if it's a real kernel bug.
31 Sometimes the kernel is the messenger and not the cause. But this is not a documented process and only exists in my head.
32
33 Whatever the consensus is I can live with.
36 Mike Pagano
37 Gentoo Developer - Kernel Project
38 Gentoo Sources - Lead
39 E-Mail : mpagano@g.o
40 GnuPG FP : 52CC A0B0 F631 0B17 0142 F83F 92A6 DBEC 81F2 B137
41 Public Key : http://http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=0x92A6DBEC81F2B137&op=index