From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: New global USE flag: keyring
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:03:24
1 Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:06:07 +0200
4 > Tiziano Müller <dev-zero@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 >> I'd say we should convert it to a global use flag now with a good
7 >> description and change it to gnome-keyring later in case we really
8 >> have a package which needs 'keyring' for something else.
9 >
10 > Needless to say it would save quite a few users from needlessly
11 > rebuilding a few packages. That's green thinking. :)
12 >
13 Sorry to get technical but how difficult is it really to change USE flag
14 names? I appreciate that users are out of sync yadda yadda, but could this
15 kind of thing not be considered out of band data similar to news?
16
17 I accept that portage has to maintain compatibility but aiui the old way of
18 doing this was simply depending on a version of portage that had the
19 capability. Since we're only talking about ~10 packages, is that so much of
20 a hardship?
21
22 After all, I'm sure the other manglers don't lag behind emerge, based on the
23 hyperbole. Do they?
27 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list