From: David Sparks <daves@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] new global use-flag proposal
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 19:24:53
1 Konstantin V. Arkhipov wrote:
2 > Greetings, Gentoo,
3 >
4 > There are many packages, which comes with their own tests - openssl,
5 > php, perl, many java-programs (junit-tests) etc.
6 >
7 > So, I think - when someone sets up new production (or even
8 > mission-critical) server, it's a good practice to perform all those
9 > tests during emerge just for sure that everything ok, even with
10 > possibility of emerge failure, if tests fail.
11
12 This is a good idea!
13
14 I was surprised when bash emerged and didn't run its test suite.
15 Further investigation shows that the test suite has to be verified by a
16 human because it has false failures. ie:
17
18 bash-2.05b # make test
19 ...
20 warning: UNIX versions number signals differently. If output differing
21 warning: only in line numbers is produced, please do not consider this
22 warning: a test failure.
23 71d70
24 < trap -- '' SIGUSR2
25 72a72
26 > trap -- '' SIGUSR2
28
29 which is too bad because regression tests before installing seems more
30 like a requirement rather than an optional step.
31
32 ds
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list