From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [SECURITY] Minimizing the suid usage
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 13:51:24
1 On Monday 24 March 2008, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
2 > On 3/24/08, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Diego and i were talking ... we're going to go with USE=filecaps because
4 > > it's so new and doesnt require the libcap library in order to work at
5 > > runtime. probably be worthwhile to put together a little eclass of
6 > > functions to make people's lives easier ...
7 >
8 > Great!!!
9 > You write eclass, me start patching ebuilds and open bugs against
10 > maintainers :)
11
12 eclass wrapping will also allow us to abstract away the fun OS details, but
13 we'll start with linux for now.
14
15 how much do we want to help the user ? if they have USE=filecaps, then dont
16 perform any checking ? we'll need a kernel with file capabilities turned on,
17 otherwise the prog wont work unless it's setuid ... so do we perform checking
18 and drop the setuid bit on the post sly ? i'd prefer we just make the
19 filecaps desc verbose: dont set this unless you have new enough kernel with
20 options enabled, otherwise things may stop working properly as non-root.
21 -mike