From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [SECURITY] Minimizing the suid usage
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 13:55:51
1 On 3/24/08, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > how much do we want to help the user ? if they have USE=filecaps, then dont
3 > perform any checking ? we'll need a kernel with file capabilities turned on,
4 > otherwise the prog wont work unless it's setuid ... so do we perform checking
5 > and drop the setuid bit on the post sly ? i'd prefer we just make the
6 > filecaps desc verbose: dont set this unless you have new enough kernel with
7 > options enabled, otherwise things may stop working properly as non-root.
8
9 I also prefer descriptive warning and not runtime checks. Worse case
10 scenario, system will be usable for root only. root can remove this
11 USE flag and emerge --update --deep --newuse world.
12
13 Alon.
14 --
15 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list