From: "Santiago M. Mola" <coldwind@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI placement
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:40:01
1 On Dec 12, 2007 11:14 PM, Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2007, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > * Eclasses may not set EAPI.
4 > >
5 > > * Eclasses may not assume a particular EAPI.
6 >
7 > I disagree here. It would be annoying and possibly even hindering in future
8 > not being able to use higher EAPI features in eclasses. Point is the eclass
9 > has to check, if the author of an ebuild sets another EAPI and throw an
10 > error, in this case.
11
12 Nobody said that eclasses can't use new features. Just that they
13 cannot _set_ EAPI or assume they are working with any EAPI. But an
14 eclass can check which EAPI is set in the environment (that's which
15 EAPI the ebuild set) and act accordingly, using features available on
16 that EAPI.
19 > The most basic issue, which we didn't even discuss yet, afaik, is how to make
20 > every developer aware which feature belongs to which EAPI. I freely admit, I
21 > do not know that. Is there a list somewhere?
22
23 EAPIs are defined in PMS [1] although I don't find an "officla" copy
24 at gentoo.org (only the one in dev.g.o/~spb).
27 > EAPI issues may lead to a lot of confusion and eclass bloat, especially since
28 > we still can't remove stale eclasses afaik.
31 Yep, that issue should be addresses as it is in paludis and pkgcore.
32
33 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/pms.xml
36 Santiago M. Mola
37 Jabber ID: cooldwind@×××××.com