From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tests
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 22:31:35
1 Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > On Tue, 01 May 2007 14:52:30 -0700
3 > Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> anyway, on the subject of tests...as others have covered the *first*
6 >> time this was discussed on the lists, mandatory tests being run every
7 >> time the user installs a package? no. oh hell no. we don't seem to do
8 >> that much with the packages in our tree now, do we?
9 >
10 > Care to turn that into a reasoned argument rather than what appears to
11 > be a knee-jerk reaction?
12
13 Not a knee jerk reaction, just a strong one. One of the key reasons why
14 mandatory tests were not desired was the fact that sometimes much more
15 stuff will be installed than what you'd normally get. Exhibit A:
16 robbat2's message just sent on diradm that normally just needs openldap
17 with USE=minimal, but building for tests requires all of openldap,
18 samba, etc.
19
20 I'd like to think we aren't in the practice of forcing users to install
21 cruft on their systems. If you need more examples from the last thread,
22 assuming you don't still have local archives, I could scrounge 'em from
23 gmane I suppose, though we're both equally capable of typing in search
24 phrases. The tests subject wasn't brought up that long ago, either.