From: Karsten Schulz <kaschu@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: security updates only? (security-1.0.ebuild)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:59:21
1 Am Samstag, 16. August 2003 16:31 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > Well, for a user it works, but it does not work in terms of providing a
3 > cache. Normally a cache is built. One thing needed for that is that we can
4 > parse dependencies.
5
6 Oh, I see. As far as I understand now, it works in this way:
7 emerge rsyncs and then generates the cache in /var/vache/edb/dep.
8 At this time, no ebuild is executed as a script and therefore the dependencies
9 cannot be calculated. That I did not know, thanks for enlighten me, Paul.
10
11 So, if I understand things right, it has to go this way:
12 On the rsync-Servers there should be a file containing GLSAs. This file
13 contains for example the following lines:
14 VERSION 1.0
15 nfs-utils >=nfs-utils-1.0.4
16 gnupg >=gnupg-1.2.2-r1
17
18 *After* rsyncing, but *before* building the cache, emerge should create a
19 statical version of app-admin/security/security-VERSION.ebuild with the
20 dependencies corresponding to the current system and the correct version.
21 After creating this ebuild, the cache could be build and an emerge -p security
22 will show the needed updates. That seems to me a few lines of python code and
23 an introduction of the new GLSA file.
24
25 How is that?
26
27 Karsten