From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: security updates only? (security-1.0.ebuild)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 14:31:52
1 On Saturday 16 August 2003 13:03, Karsten Schulz wrote:
2 > Am Samstag, 16. August 2003 12:20 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > Unfortunately dynamic dependencies in this style are not possible.
4 >
5 > Why not? Please, could you explain me what will break?
6 > (or show me the lines in ebuild.sh were things will break?)
7
8 Well, for a user it works, but it does not work in terms of providing a cache.
9 Normally a cache is built. One thing needed for that is that we can parse
10 dependencies. Your dependencies are created in a bash way. That means that a
11 cache can not be created because as far as the caching system is concerned
12 your cache is dynamic. And worse, there would be no way of detecting this
13 dynamic nature. In short putting such an ebuild in the portage tree would
14 create hell.
15
16 Paul
19 Paul de Vrieze