From: Karsten Schulz <kaschu@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: security updates only? (security-1.0.ebuild)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 11:03:29
1 Am Samstag, 16. August 2003 12:20 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > Unfortunately dynamic dependencies in this style are not possible.
3
4 Why not? Please, could you explain me what will break?
5 (or show me the lines in ebuild.sh were things will break?)
6
7 On my machine the generation of the dependencies work (Portage 2.0.48-r5
8 (default-x86-1.4, gcc-3.2.3, glibc-2.3.2-r1)).
9 I tried it with my security-1.0.ebuild.
10 I did some quick tests with several package combinations and the only thing I
11 noticed was, that the compile and install stages cause some heavy cpu cycles,
12 which I can not explain. (maybe the empty SRC_URI var, but why?)
13
14 > I also
15 > believe that a more fundamental solution should be implemented. Probably in
16 > emerge itself.
17
18 I agree on that for future developments. But when will that be implemented? I
19 tried a simple solution for now. I really like to see an 'security' argument
20 like 'system' or 'world' in Portage 2.x.
21 OTOH I wish to keep server administration simpler now, because easier security
22 administration is nothing, which must wait for tomorrow (imho).
23
24 >It should not really be hard. It should basically do what
25 > you propose from a dynamically generated list of insecure ebuilds.
26
27 ACK.
28
29 Karsten