From: Radoslaw Stachowiak <radek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: lists@×××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Wishlist: an automated package upgrade system with fine-tunable sysadmin control
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 17:11:59
1 On 4/27/06, Kevin <lists@×××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > If I explore this idea with any further discussion, I'll be sure to
4 > follow the suggestions here about another list and reading past messages
5 > on that list.
6
7 Feel free to look at http://dev.gentoo.org/~radek/portki/
8
9 Short feature lists:
10 * designed to run in fully automated way
11 * uses master/slave portage replication mode with separate _own_
12 master portage repo
13 * additional own repos for home made software
14 * allows different upgrade cycles per machine (weekly/monthly/yearly, glsa only)
15 * allows automatic cfg upgrade _if_ file was not touched by human.
16 * does all necessary cleaning
17 * extensive logging
18 * does revdep-rebuild and other necessary portage tricks
19 * allows central configuration (useflags, make.conf etc.)
20 * it used binpkg in early version but I discarded this idea because of:
21 .. problems generated even on compatibile hosts
22 .. necessity to have all the same cfg (which is often not the case)
23 .. small gain (on todays servers compilation is fast)
24 .. much harder individual changes to the machines
25 * its just an integration work (mostly bash and python) around
26 standard gentoo tools, although its in highly automated state.
27 * easy to extend
28
29 Biggest drawbacks:
30 * some bugs :)