From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gratuitous useflaggery (doc and examples)
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 16:44:25
1 On Saturday 04 March 2006 17:00, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2 > On Saturday 04 March 2006 16:43, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > If you're concerned about diskspace you can filter out /usr/share/doc
4 > > entirely, so users do have the choice. The problem here is that the
5 > > docs USE flag is off by default. Making more packages use the flag
6 > > would install less docs. Has anyone actually complained that too many
7 > > docs are installed by default? It's true that some users/situations
8 > > don't need them, but most do, especially as long as we don't have
9 > > separate server profiles.
10 >
11 > I have seen quite a few bugs about that and actually have filed oneĀ¹,
12 > rotting in bugzilla, myself. I definitely do not care about a few
13 > hundred KB documentation per ebuild, but some install a lot of
14 > documentation and accumulated it's a lot of wasted space. Filtering out
15 > /usr/share/doc as a whole is no choice, when you usually want it, but a
16 > fair share not.
17 >
18 I guess some advanced /etc/portage/bashrc magic isn't enough for you?
19 There are some neat tricks you can play with that.
20
21 Paul
24 Paul de Vrieze
25 Gentoo Developer