From: Francesco Riosa <francesco@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Creating a dedicated gentoo profile for commercial mysql support
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:11:07
1 Matthew Marlowe wrote:
2 <too big snip because I'm writing in vncviever>
3 - there are tests that show mysql compiled with icc much faster,
4 obviously only on intel box
5 - you can find a very basic ebuild for mysql-bin at b.g.o/83424
6 - packages for mysql-4.1 have been dowloaded hundreds times starting
7 2004-12 from b.g.o/83011 and http://www.francesco-riosa.com/gentoo/
8 very few reported bugs, mostly ebuild related (not mysql fault)
9 - the story is totally different if you look at mysql-5.0 or gcc-4.0
10 currently there are 74 Mb of compile/test log that can document it.
11 - on the server maillist the idea of a slow update / hyper stable branch
12 has been not very well accepted as far as I can remember.
13
14 LIFO proposal
15
16 - Learn from TV, update your server in "differita" <- translate as
17 needed. Follow the updates of the main stable branch ... delayed 4 weeks.
18 You will have a 100 times more tested tree than the hyper stable one.
19 We need a handly way to do this
20 - Apart from the icc compiled ones avoid the use of precompiled binary.
21 MySQL compiling and running depends from few other things:
22 = linux-headers / kernel ?
23 = glibc
24 = gcc / compiler
25 = crypt
26 = ssh
27 = readline
28 = perl
29 = nsl
30 = tcp wrappers
31 Ask to MySQL ab what version of theese they certify and build in loco
32 the stuff should be non plus ultra
33
34 Best regards
35 Francesco Riosa