From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Changes to EAPI ban workflow
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 14:35:19
1 On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 04:21:02PM +0200, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > it's not clear to me what will be the consequences of this change.
5 >
6 > I am expecting good faith and that nobody will add an ebuild with deprecated
7 > EAPI just for fun or because maintainer prefers retro stuff.
8 >
9 > So looking at the reasons to bump without touching EAPI:
10 >
11 > a) Because of a changing dep/add slot operator
12 >
13 > b) Because of a security vulnerability.
14 >
15 > c) Other critical fixes which should reach users ASAP.
16 >
17 > In addition, all of this could happen by non-primary maintainer of the
18 > package.
21 Like a lot of policies and rules in Gentoo there are exceptions. This is
22 why we have various projects and teams that enforce said policies and
23 rules. Finally, we have escalation procedures with various independent
24 bodies to handle it should common sense prove to be an uncommon virtue.
25
26 We cannot legislate common sense.
27
28 So many people spending so much time to arrive at an imperfect policy, as
29 usual.
30
31 -Aaron