From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] more help needed with gcc-4.8 stabilization, chromium starts heavily using C++11
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 12:56:19
1 On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 8:10 AM, Andreas K. Huettel
2 <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 > Am Samstag, 18. Oktober 2014, 19:34:52 schrieb Pacho Ramos:
4 >> >
5 >> > Perhaps a stupid question, but: why is it a problem if the logs are
6 >> > linked rather than attached?
7 >>
8 >> Supposedly we always must attach files to bug reports to ensure they are
9 >> kept forever with that bug reports instead of relying on external
10 >> resources that could disappear in the future (or far future).
11 >
12 > It isn't (in my opinion) a problem *per se* if Diego does it the way he does
13 > it now. The reason being that *he* knows the logs should be available for a
14 > long time afterwards and takes care of that properly. So, Diego, I'm perfectly
15 > fine with accepting your bug reports, and I would be very glad if you also
16 > started tinderboxing again.
17
18 ++
21 > Globally, on the long run it *is* not so nice to link the logs for the one
22 > reason that we need to teach our users to attach logs instead of linking them.
23 > (Since they do not automatically apply the same level of care.) Now if they
24 > keep stumbling on bugs where the logs are just linked instead of attached,
25 > this gets harder and harder. A case of "make a policy, expect everyone else to
26 > stick to it and go ahead with a bad example".
29 Agree, but IMO facilitating tinderboxing TODAY is much more important
30 than having a completely uniform policy TOMORROW, and I think you're
31 on the same page with this.
32
33 It might make sense to build a little script that goes looking for new
34 tinderbox bugs, fetches the logs, and attaches them. This should by
35 no means be a blocker to doing runs.
36
37 If maintainers want to NEEDINFO or WONTFIX a tinderbox bug, well,
38 they'll be the ones picking up the pieces when the gcc upgrade moves
39 ahead. Frankly, the tinderbox bugs that I've gotten from Diego have
40 been some of the most usefully-populated ones I've seen, and he
41 usually includes recommendations for best-practices/etc in them as
42 well. I don't get why anybody wouldn't like seeing them.
45 Rich