From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:24:34
1 On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 20:24, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > > Wouldn't a new file called ChangeLog.xml solve this? If it exists, use
3 > > it. If not, default to the old plain-text ChangeLog.
4 >
5 > Not really.
6 > How do you make sure a dev adds new entries the XML version if it
7 > exists? (in the case of multiple/no maintainers or arch maintainers)
8 > Tools would have to merge the logs internally to be useful.
9 > Supporting both formats will be a real PITA.
10
11 You design your layout for the new ChangeLog.xml, extend echangelog to
12 support the new style, then add it to gentoolkit-dev and bump. As
13 people start using it, it outputs *both* style ChangeLog files, until
14 such time that we've gone through and cleaned up the tree (or a set
15 deadline, whatever we decide), then you remove the "old" style
16 functionality from the tool. Now it only outputs the new XML
17 ChangeLog.xml and it's all done.
20 Chris Gianelloni
21 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
22 Gentoo Linux
23
24 Is your power animal a penguin?