From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:24:08
1 On 07/21/04 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2
3 > Marius Mauch said:
4 > > I'm not completely opposed to XML although I see little use here,
5 > > but I see the big show stopper: Transition. We have a live tree as
6 > > well as a dozen tools (estimated) using the Changelogs, some of them
7 > > aren't even under our control (gentoo-portage.com and porthole are
8 > > popular examples). How do you plan to change the format in such an
9 > > environment? Without an answer to that question the whole issue is
10 > > academic.
11 >
12 > Wouldn't a new file called ChangeLog.xml solve this? If it exists, use
13 > it. If not, default to the old plain-text ChangeLog.
14
15 Not really.
16 How do you make sure a dev adds new entries the XML version if it
17 exists? (in the case of multiple/no maintainers or arch maintainers)
18 Tools would have to merge the logs internally to be useful.
19 Supporting both formats will be a real PITA.
20
21 Marius
26 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
27 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.