From: "Chad M. Huneycutt" <chad.huneycutt@×××.org>
To: blinux@××××××××××××.org
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] how blindfriendly is Gentoo?
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 09:18:44
1 blinux@××××××××××××.org wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > Just a question due to the fact that I'm a Debian user, and Gentoo
4 > is deb-based;
5
6 Gentoo is definitely *not* Debian-based. It is ports-based and inherits
7 more from BSD than any Linux distribution.
8
9 > But does it provides a good offer of console minded applications,
10 > and so, should it be usable by visually impaired users?
11
12 Well, we would certainly like to hear any suggestions that make Gentoo more
13 accessible. The install is completely at the console -- is that what you
14 mean? And we would be happy to add any applications/kernel patches to the
15 portage tree to make it more accessible. If you have a list of packages
16 that you think are essential, you can check them on
17 http://www.gentoo.org/index-packages.html
18 or send them to the list, and we will do our best to add any that are missing.
19
20 Please try it out and let us know any shortcomings. Our community is very
21 open and active, so if you would like to get in touch with us, you can use
22 the forums at http://forums.gentoo.org (down right now, unfortunately), the
23 mailing lists like this one, or IRC at #gentoo.
26 Chad Huneycutt (chadh@g.o)