From: Paul <set@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: how blindfriendly is Gentoo?
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 20:12:10
1 "Chad M. Huneycutt" <chad.huneycutt@×××.org>, on Mon Jul 08, 2002 [10:18:44 AM] said:
2 > blinux@××××××××××××.org wrote:
3 > >Hi,
4 > > Just a question due to the fact that I'm a Debian user, and Gentoo
5 > >is deb-based;
6 >
7 > Gentoo is definitely *not* Debian-based. It is ports-based and inherits
8 > more from BSD than any Linux distribution.
9 >
10 > > But does it provides a good offer of console minded applications,
11 > >and so, should it be usable by visually impaired users?
12 >
13 > Well, we would certainly like to hear any suggestions that make Gentoo more
14 > accessible. The install is completely at the console -- is that what you
15 > mean? And we would be happy to add any applications/kernel patches to the
16 > portage tree to make it more accessible. If you have a list of packages
17 > that you think are essential, you can check them on
18 > http://www.gentoo.org/index-packages.html
19 > or send them to the list, and we will do our best to add any that are
20 > missing.
23 Hi;
24
25 I wonder if anything ever came of this blind persons
26 comments? (seemed a reasonable request...)
27
28 http://lists.gentoo.org/pipermail/gentoo-dev/2002-June/012933.html
29
30 Paul
31 set@×××××.com
32
33 > Please try it out and let us know any shortcomings. Our community is very
34 > open and active, so if you would like to get in touch with us, you can use
35 > the forums at http://forums.gentoo.org (down right now, unfortunately), the
36 > mailing lists like this one, or IRC at #gentoo.
37 >
38 > --
39 > Chad Huneycutt (chadh@g.o)