From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Compaq Presario 905 AU with ATI IGP 320M video
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:22:45
1 On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:18:35 -0400
2 "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > This really isn't discussion material for gentoo-dev.
5
6 maybe, and maybe not. it is probably of concern to dev's as to what
7 works and what doesn't on gentoo, although this may be better thought of
8 as an upstream issue. Also I saw some relevant posts from "spyderous" on
9 the forums, and I think he inhabits this list.
10
11 > Have you tried
12 > the forums or google yet?
15 I thought the answer to that may have been obvious from me saying "I can find plenty
16 of older info suggesting that 3d hardware accel will not work with this
17 chipset, and that vesa was the only driver, but I am not sure if any of
18 that has changed since 2003 " Yes I have googled and forumed. I am an
19 experienced linux user, and I do know how to search for information.
20 google is full of references to polish speaking email forums, its not
21 the help it used to be. The gentoo forums have become a victim of their
22 own success. One thread had 73 pages, and no way of knowing wheter the
23 search terms are on page 2 or page 72.
24
25 I'm sorry I just thought someone round here might have some up to date
26 info.
31 > Steve
32 >
33 > Nick Rout wrote:
34 > > I am wondering if anyone can tell me the current state of the play with
35 > > 3d hardware acceleration with the above machine.
36 > >
37 > > I can find plenty of older info suggesting that 3d hardware accel will
38 > > not work with this chipset, and that vesa was the only driver, but I am
39 > > not sure if any of that has changed since 2003 when most of the
40 > > reviews/howtos I could find were published.
41 > >
42 > > I have an opportunity to buy a second hand one, but wanted to know this
43 > > answer first :-)
44 > >
45 > > Thanks for any info.
50 > > --