From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stuff that makes people mad
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 06:46:28
1 On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 11:08:49PM -0500, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > > Is it just me, or does any one else get the feeling that something's
3 > > gone wrong with this distro? Lately it seems devs just do what the heck
4 > >they want, and the only time anyone notices is if someone is polite to
5 > >give everyone a heads-up first.
6 Could you describe more of this? In general, we try to make what we feel
7 are the best medium and long term choices for the distribution as a
8 whole, not the immediate short term solution.
9
10 > >This used to be community development, but had gone to thug
11 > >development. If we can't get features we ask for, let's just screw it
12 > >then and drop all the use flags.
13 > First, most (if not all) of the devs are volunteers. They do this in their
14 > spare time. They are not obligated to add every little feature that every
15 > user asks for. Like you said, this is community development. If you really
16 > want something, do it yourself and submit it. It doesn't mean that they
17 > give you whatever you want and you give nothing back.
18 If you've got a FULL plan (not just a vague idea), incl. code that
19 developers are happy with, then we're generally very glad to help you
20 with it. Code/Changes/Features that break existing systems are much less
21 likely to get accepted - a bunch of qmail features that have been
22 proposed to me (incl. some preliminary patches) have been that way, they
23 would break how the package previous behaved in some way that is
24 important and relied upon.
25
26 > >Hell, lets get crazy and impose developer term limits, that way the
27 > >jaded devs can be recycled and the fresh blood will keep the
28 > >momentum going. And since we're all gonna have huge overlays, cut
29 > >back to about 20 devs, that ought to do it, since we'll leave the
30 > >real work to the end-user.
31 Lack of developers is a severe problem in some groups already.
32 As an example we have _two_ active people that handle KDE. This is
33 hideously undermanned for something of the scope of KDE.
34
35 > >If you thought all the above was sheer insanity, it doesn't sound too far
36 > >off the crap on this ml, or some of the crap on bugzilla::::(
37 Vague discussions don't usually end up anywhere productive, but just
38 like the policy of the linux-kernel mailing list, patches and good
39 changes are a lot more likely to be accepted, providing there is
40 somebody willing and able to maintain them (that's the reason a lot of
41 new ebuilds aren't being accepted right now, as we just don't have
42 enough manpower).
43
44 > Second, if the senior (and some not so senior) devs want to be jaded, let
45 > them. They know what they're doing (for the most part) ;)
46 >
47 > Last, if you don't like what Gentoo is doing, help fix it or go somewhere
48 > else.
49 And it would strongly benefit everybody (incl. yourself) if you picked
50 the former option as I don't think there is really anywhere else to go
51 without having even more problems than exist presently.
54 Robin Hugh Johnson
55 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
56 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
57 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
58 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85