From: Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] How to provide a recent TeXLive for Gentoo for our users?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 09:58:00
1 Dear all,
2
3 there was a question on the tex@gentoo ml from a user, who needs a very
4 recent TeXLive in order to be compatible with other setups.
5 This is also very important, for users of the more recent programs like
6 lualatex. Many packages do not work properly in the unfixed old version.
7
8 An installation via tlmgr provides many updates per day, but
9 our distributed TeXLive is unfortunately always behind.
10 Typically TeXLive on gentoo is 6-12 months behind upstream, because we
11 have to bump a lot manually.
12
13 One solution would be more powerful scripts, which update the TeX
14 ebuilds, but the ticket is open since 2005.
15 https://bugs.gentoo.org/85411
16
17 On one Gentoo system I installed therefor TeXLive via tlmgr and added
18 all provided packages in package.provided like this:
19
20 /etc/portage/profile/package.provided/texlive.provided
21 [..]
22 dev-tex/xcolor-9999
23 dev-tex/latexdiff-9999
24 dev-tex/glossaries-9999
25 dev-tex/biblatex-9999
26 dev-tex/biber-9999
27 dev-tex/bibtexu-9999
28 app-text/texlive-core-9999
29
30 This is not a very nice solution, but it works so far. One difficulty
31 is, that there is no 1:1 relation between the texlive distribution and
32 dev-texlive/* at the moment.
33
34 How can we enable our users to run a recent TeXLive in a clean way?
35
36 Ideas are welcome.
39 Best,
40 Jonas