From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to provide a recent TeXLive for Gentoo for our users?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 12:39:06
1 On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 11:57:49 +0200
2 Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o> wrote:
3 > An installation via tlmgr provides many updates per day, but
4 > our distributed TeXLive is unfortunately always behind.
5 > Typically TeXLive on gentoo is 6-12 months behind upstream, because we
6 > have to bump a lot manually.
7
8 That is not the real reason. Most of it has been scripted for 10+ years.
9 The real reason is that we need to go through ~arch testing, fixing rev
10 deps that might need update to their .tex files because the underlying
11 packages they use has changed, adapt the deps for some potential
12 changes, and then a stablereq round. Following the yearly release cycle
13 leaves time for it to happen. It could move faster, but I don't see any
14 need for it as this would mean shortening stabilization cycles
15 potentially allowing for more bugs to enter stable and increasing the
16 load on arch teams.
19 [...]
20 > This is not a very nice solution, but it works so far. One difficulty
21 > is, that there is no 1:1 relation between the texlive distribution and
22 > dev-texlive/* at the moment.
23
24 There is a 1:1 relation.
27 > How can we enable our users to run a recent TeXLive in a clean way?
28
29 /usr/local/share/texmf has been supported by texlive on Gentoo from day
30 one. You can use that. It's an overlay that takes precedence on
31 anything else, so per the above, you lose all the QA & testing done
32 behind the scenes if you use this.
35 Alexis.