From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mgorny@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] git.eclass, git-2.eclass... git-r1.eclass?
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 14:31:43
1 On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 10:00:07 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > What are your thoughts?
5
6 If possible, assuming it is not already possible I would like to see
7 support for checking out multiple repositories; that way the patches
8 can simply be obtained from a repository instead of having to
9 explicitly snapshot them for
10
11 Also, please just call it git-3.eclass as it is a major change; any
12 other form of naming will introduce confusion (eg. -r1 < -2), also we
13 probably shouldn't change git-2.eclass as even when masked it doesn't
14 seem like a good thing to break its current API and documentation as
15 well as what actually works in the Portage tree.
16
17 Remind that the readers of this list are not the only people who use
18 this eclass; if you just drop it in place or use an older version, some
19 of our users (those using 9999 or overlays) are going to be unhappy.
20
21 It seems better to enumerate all git-2 users and change them to git-3
22 once it works properly and you have tested them to still work; or, you
23 could ask the maintainers to do the migration next time they work on
24 the package in question.
25
26 Regardless, thanks for getting rid of git.eclass and improving it.
29 With kind regards,
30
31 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
32 Gentoo Developer
33
34 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
35 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
36 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D