From: Hendrik Visage <hvisage@×××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Customize a ebuild before compiling
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 10:52:48
1 On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 01:45:28AM +0200, Karl Trygve Kalleberg wrote:
2 > One of the decisions to make is whether we should expose the underlying
3 > configuration mechanism for the package, say by having a process much like
4 > Pete described, where the user does:
5 > 1) ebuild unpack
6 > 2) edits a pre-generated <package-install-prefix>/gentoo-configure script
7
8 2b) doing the configure
9
10 2c) allow the sysadmin to edit them config.h files,
11 and only then:
12
13 > 3) ebuild merge
14 >
15 > In step 3, the portage system will use the modified gentoo-configure
16 > script to configure the package, before running make and install.
17
18 My problem with the merge step is the combined configure, compile install
19 phases :(
22 > The other approach, which would make creating ebuilds considerably more
23 > difficult, was to have each ebuild read a parameter list from command
24 > line, then apply these to the underlying configuration mechanism for the
25 > relevant package.
26
27 Which could become extremely troublesome when needing to edit a config.h file
28 (like flwm as an example :()
31 > This would mean that the user doing installation wouldn't have to know the
32 > intricacies of the underlying package (not all packages use automake), but
33 > would only specify a parameter to ebuild, e.g:
34 > ebuild clanlib-0.5.0.ebuild --with-3d
35 >
36 > Then it was up to the ebuild code to map the "--with-3d" parameter to
37 > whatever was appropriate in clanlib (such as "--with-opengl"). Normally,
38 > there would be a direct mapping.
39 >
40 > However, this puts the burden on the ebuild developer to export many (if
41 > not all) of the compile-time switches, and perhaps even write some kind of
42 > consistency-checker for some of the parameters, if the underlying
43 > configuration systems doesn't handle that (say, the user specified
44 > --without-x --with-gtk).
47 > The current philosophy of portage (and consequently ebuild) has been KISS.
48 > The Gentoo developers have opted for the easiest route,
49 > implementation-wise.
50
51 Which do take away my reasons for needing to build
52 from source :(
56 > This is definitely a topic that is relevant to the "Improving
57 > Portage"-project I've suggested elsewhere.
58
59 :)
60 --
62 Hendrik Visage