From: tadpol@××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Customize a ebuild before compiling
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 12:54:27
1 On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 06:52:22PM +0200, Hendrik Visage wrote:
2 > On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 01:45:28AM +0200, Karl Trygve Kalleberg wrote:
3 > > One of the decisions to make is whether we should expose the underlying
4 > > configuration mechanism for the package, say by having a process much like
5 [snip]
6 > > The current philosophy of portage (and consequently ebuild) has been KISS.
7 > > The Gentoo developers have opted for the easiest route,
8 > > implementation-wise.
9 >
10 > Which do take away my reasons for needing to build
11 > from source :(
14 There will always be packages that are too `weird' to be handled by any
15 system we come up with.
16
17 At a certain point, the extra complexity needed for this kind of stuff is
18 not worth the time.
19
20 /usr/local/(bin|sbin|share|doc|*) exists for a reason. If you have
21 packages that require that level of customization, it is probably beyond
22 what a package system should do.
25 This all of course is my own personal opinion,
26 --
27 Michael Tilstra tadpol@××××××.org
28 Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds