From: Hendrik Visage <hvisage@×××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Customize a ebuild before compiling
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 13:09:51
1 On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 01:28:22PM -0500, tadpol@××××××.org wrote:
2 > On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 06:52:22PM +0200, Hendrik Visage wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 01:45:28AM +0200, Karl Trygve Kalleberg wrote:
4 > > > One of the decisions to make is whether we should expose the underlying
5 > > > configuration mechanism for the package, say by having a process much like
6 > [snip]
7 > > > The current philosophy of portage (and consequently ebuild) has been KISS.
8 > > > The Gentoo developers have opted for the easiest route,
9 > > > implementation-wise.
10 > >
11 > > Which do take away my reasons for needing to build
12 > > from source :(
15 > There will always be packages that are too `weird' to be handled by any
16 > system we come up with.
17 >
18 > At a certain point, the extra complexity needed for this kind of stuff is
19 > not worth the time.
20 >
21 > /usr/local/(bin|sbin|share|doc|*) exists for a reason. If you have
22 > packages that require that level of customization, it is probably beyond
23 > what a package system should do.
24
25 Which breaks the idea of a packaging system :(
26
27 Even worse, I'd like to build a special version of gtk (thumb sucking),
28 and wish everything from then on to make use of this version.
29
30 If I'm going to install in /usr/local, then the portage system isn't
31 going to pick it up (easily I guess) that I've installed version x.y.z_patched
32 and that it don't need to build x.y.z and to configure/compile against /usr/local
33 instead of the "old" /usr version...
34
35 How can we still link in with the dependency & packaging system,
36 without breaking portage etc. and not making use of ebuild???
37
38 > This all of course is my own personal opinion,
39
40 Mine too ;)
44 Hendrik Visage
45 hvisage@×××××××××××.za