From: tadpol@××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Customize a ebuild before compiling
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 17:39:11
1 On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 09:09:26PM +0200, Hendrik Visage wrote:
2 > On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 01:28:22PM -0500, tadpol@××××××.org wrote:
3 > > /usr/local/(bin|sbin|share|doc|*) exists for a reason. If you have
4 > > packages that require that level of customization, it is probably beyond
5 > > what a package system should do.
6 >
7 > Which breaks the idea of a packaging system :(
8
9 No it doesn't. look at rpm, deb, slackware and bunch others. That level
10 of configurablity doesn't exist. And the package systems still work.
11
12 Portage is closer to a build system than it is a package system. A build
13 system could do what you suggest below, a package system couldn't.
14
15 > Even worse, I'd like to build a special version of gtk (thumb sucking),
16 > and wish everything from then on to make use of this version.
17 >
18 > If I'm going to install in /usr/local, then the portage system isn't
19 > going to pick it up (easily I guess) that I've installed version
20 > x.y.z_patched and that it don't need to build x.y.z and to
21 > configure/compile against /usr/local instead of the "old" /usr version...
22 >
23 > How can we still link in with the dependency & packaging system,
24 > without breaking portage etc. and not making use of ebuild???
25
26 This would be a wonderful case for the local ebuild thing someone suggested
27 earlier. Basically something that lets you define ebuilds that are local
28 to your setup.
31 I just think that kind of configuration system is overkill for 90% of the
32 ebuilds. And I don't see the extra complexity worth the price of a few
33 packages.
34
35 > > This all of course is my own personal opinion,
36 > Mine too ;)
37 oy, so many opinions to choose from... ^_^
40 Michael Tilstra tadpol@××××××.org
41 I'll do all these things, because I'm an idiot.