From: Chris Bainbridge <chrb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Drivers/Portage
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:07:09
1 On Monday 19 July 2004 09:29, Martin Owens wrote:
2 > I think I ort to make myself a little clearer.
3 >
4 > it's not about auto detection / auto configuration. it's about information
5 > gathering and resources, sure auto configuration is an option at a much
6 > later stage but I'd much prefere a system that provides information to the
7 > usrs as a primary goal.
8 >
9 > The most important part is creating/generating unique id's for hardware
10 > that you can match the information up to. then if the system gets it wrong
11 > or dosn't have any information allowing the users to input new data
12 > (subject to review) which can then be used to expand and revise the
13 > information.
14
15 Gathering information in one place is imho the most useful thing. A livecd
16 that boots, autodetects the hardware, looks it up all up on an online
17 database with a web page for each bit of hardware where people discuss their
18 successes or failures under linux and assign a compatibility rating, would be
19 a very useful thing. I've wasted hours tracking down drivers for all my
20 unusual hardware (game console stuff, 802.11 & bluetooth cards, cellphone,
21 camera that isn't a usbmassstorage device etc.) and I'm sure I'm not the only
22 one. Half the time when I buy accessories I have no idea whether they'll work
23 under linux.
24
25 You'll get plenty of people submitting info if its an open project (ie. they
26 can get the info back, its not just to drive hits to your web site), and it
27 works well.
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list