From: "John R. Graham" <n3440d@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why isn't /root/.bash_profile in the stage tarballs?
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:47:58
1 On Thursday 20 September 2007, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > no, this cannot live in baselayout (the package that creates /root/), because
3 > it cannot be run everytime a user upgrades the baselayout package. no, it
4 > cannot be tied to USE=build (used to make stage1) or USE=bootstrap (use to
5 > make stage2) as the only time the /etc/skel/ -> /root/ sync can sanely happen
6 > is in the final steps of creating a stage3 ... and there is nothing to
7 > differentiate the creation of a stage3 from a normal build, nor is there a
8 > sane way to make sure baselayout is the very last package in the stage3 build
9 > step
10 > -mike
13 Mike, for my own education (well, mostly), could you clarify why putting
14 the copy of the appropriate files from /etc/skel -> /root into the
15 ebuild that creates them but tying that special action to USE=build
16 isn't an acceptable solution? You've said that it would mean a special
17 case for each ebuild that puts things into /etc/skel, but I believe
18 we're talking about one or two ebuilds here, and, besides, isn't the
19 ebuild the appropriate place for that sort of expertise to reside, or at
20 least, not an inappropriate place?
21
22 - John
23 --