From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why isn't /root/.bash_profile in the stage tarballs?
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 07:16:01
1 On Wednesday 19 September 2007, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > John R. Graham wrote:
3 > > On the forums, I've seen the question, "Why isn't my .bashrc being
4 > > executed when I log in as root but is being executed when I log in as a
5 > > normal user?," asked half a dozen times on the forums. Heck, I even
6 > > asked it myself a few years ago. Now, two years later, from a slightly
7 > > more mature level of domain knowledge, I have to ask why the root cause
8 > > shouldn't be addressed. Why can't the simple little default
9 > > .bash_profile from /etc/skel be put into /root as well?
10 >
11 > When catalyst builds a stage tarball, it doesn't add any additional files.
12 > All files in any stage tarball are created by one of the packages contained
13 > within. In order to do this, a package such as baselayout would have to
14 > install the file.
15 >
16 > Looking at my local install, it's actually bash that creates
17 > /etc/skel/.bash{rc,_logout,_profile}. You can appeal to the maintainer(s)
18 > of the bash ebuild (should be the base-system herd) to add that
19 > functionality, but I really doubt you'll convince them.
20
21 the issue is hardly limited to bash ... by this argument, you propose to have
22 every package which could possibly install into /etc/skel/ have special case
23 code to also install into /root/
24
25 what catalyst should do is just before cleaning up the stage3 root and packing
26 it up is run `rsync -a /etc/skel/ /root/`
27
28 no, this cannot live in baselayout (the package that creates /root/), because
29 it cannot be run everytime a user upgrades the baselayout package. no, it
30 cannot be tied to USE=build (used to make stage1) or USE=bootstrap (use to
31 make stage2) as the only time the /etc/skel/ -> /root/ sync can sanely happen
32 is in the final steps of creating a stage3 ... and there is nothing to
33 differentiate the creation of a stage3 from a normal build, nor is there a
34 sane way to make sure baselayout is the very last package in the stage3 build
35 step
36 -mike