From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why isn't /root/.bash_profile in the stage tarballs?
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 02:24:54
1 John R. Graham wrote:
2 > On the forums, I've seen the question, "Why isn't my .bashrc being
3 > executed when I log in as root but is being executed when I log in as a
4 > normal user?," asked half a dozen times on the forums. Heck, I even
5 > asked it myself a few years ago. Now, two years later, from a slightly
6 > more mature level of domain knowledge, I have to ask why the root cause
7 > shouldn't be addressed. Why can't the simple little default
8 > .bash_profile from /etc/skel be put into /root as well?
9
10 When catalyst builds a stage tarball, it doesn't add any additional files. All
11 files in any stage tarball are created by one of the packages contained within.
12 In order to do this, a package such as baselayout would have to install the file.
13
14 Looking at my local install, it's actually bash that creates
15 /etc/skel/.bash{rc,_logout,_profile}. You can appeal to the maintainer(s) of the
16 bash ebuild (should be the base-system herd) to add that functionality, but I
17 really doubt you'll convince them.
20 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
21 Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator
22 --
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list