From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why isn't /root/.bash_profile in the stage tarballs?
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:34:28
1 On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 03:03 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > what catalyst should do is just before cleaning up the stage3 root and packing
3 > it up is run `rsync -a /etc/skel/ /root/`
4
5 It definitely should not. One of my primary motivations with catalyst
6 is to ensure that the users get *exactly* what would be provided by the
7 profiles/packages. We don't add extra files into the stages and likely
8 never will. Doing something like this in catalyst would create an
9 inconsistency between doing a stage3 install and any previous stage
10 installs. Yes, we don't support stage1 anymore, but we still support
11 stage1 users once their systems are up and running. Having them
12 inconsistent only causes one more area where we have to do extra
13 troubleshooting to determine the cause.
14
15 > no, this cannot live in baselayout (the package that creates /root/), because
16 > it cannot be run everytime a user upgrades the baselayout package. no, it
17 > cannot be tied to USE=build (used to make stage1) or USE=bootstrap (use to
18 > make stage2) as the only time the /etc/skel/ -> /root/ sync can sanely happen
19 > is in the final steps of creating a stage3 ... and there is nothing to
20 > differentiate the creation of a stage3 from a normal build, nor is there a
21 > sane way to make sure baselayout is the very last package in the stage3 build
22 > step
23
24 Well, it depends on whether we're interested in getting all of /etc/skel
25 or just the .bash* files. About the only thing I would see useful as
26 "defaults" is the .bash* stuff and a .ssh directory. I do agree that
27 everything else should be left up to the user. If we decided what to
28 include and limited it, it shouldn't be a problem to do it via USE=build
29 at all.
30
31 Of course, that doesn't answer the question, "Do we want to?"
32
33 I have no clue.
36 Chris Gianelloni
37 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
38 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
39 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
40 Gentoo Foundation