From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 02:11:01
1 On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 8:40 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 02/02/2017 01:01 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> If (base == minimal), then all of the upstream defaults need to be added
6 >>> to package.use for the upstream-defaults profile. That's bad,
7 >>
8 >> I'll go further and say that it is unacceptably bad.
11 > Only if anyone wants an upstream-defaults profile. But nobody's asked
12 > for one, in contrast with the large number of users who want minimal.
15 People already have one effectively, so they're not going to ask.
16
17 But, if it makes you happier, I'll ask for one. :)
18
19 If Gentoo didn't have a reasonable way to get mostly upstream
20 defaults, I probably wouldn't be using Gentoo.
23 >> I still think that we shouldn't encourage users to lightly deviate
24 >> from all the upstream defaults.
25 >
26 > Deviating from upstream defaults is why we have USE flags in the first
27 > place. No one really wants the upstream defaults, they want
28 >
29 > (nothing) + (what their profile provides) + (what they enable),
30
31 Well, I'm somebody, and I want:
32
33 (upstream defaults) + (profile settings) + (what I enable) - (what I disable)
34
35 I certainly don't set USE=-*, even on my containers.
38 > If dropping an IUSE default hurts some profile, then stick the default
39 > in that profile. Nothing breaks, and it's not too much work
40
41 There are probably thousands of package+USE combinations in IUSE
42 statements. Putting these all into a profile is anything but
43 straightforward.
44
45 I don't want globally-enabled/disabled USE flags in my base profile.
46 I want the settings that make sense for each specific package, which
47 requires taking the time to evaluate each package. This is time that
48 maintainers have already invested.
49
50 I personally have zero-interest in minimal systems. If others want to
51 set USE=-* that's great for them, and if somebody wants to create a
52 profile that sets USE=-* and has some per-package exceptions to fix a
53 few things, that is also great. If there are cases where we can do
54 things a little differently to make life easier on these sorts of
55 users, we should do that. However, limiting IUSE defaults just to
56 settings minimally necessary to get a package to build just makes it
57 impossible to use Gentoo practically without reviewing a bazillion USE
58 flags.
59
60 There is no reason everybody can't have their own way, but IMO it is
61 much simpler to do this with a minimal profile.
64 Rich