From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 01:40:53
1 On 02/02/2017 01:01 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> If (base == minimal), then all of the upstream defaults need to be added
5 >> to package.use for the upstream-defaults profile. That's bad,
6 >
7 > I'll go further and say that it is unacceptably bad.
10 Only if anyone wants an upstream-defaults profile. But nobody's asked
11 for one, in contrast with the large number of users who want minimal.
14 > Is there a better way we can have our cake and eat it too? I'll admit
15 > that a huge package.use on the minimal profile isn't a whole lot
16 > better than a huge package.use on all the other profiles.
17
18 Every important upstream default is already enabled in some profile. If
19 dropping a particular IUSE default breaks desktop systems, then that
20 flag belongs enabled in the desktop profile. If it breaks every system,
21 then let's keep it default.
24 > Do we need another form of syntax in individual ebuilds to try to
25 > separate out the various cases you cite? Does anybody care to
26 > actually suggest one?
27
28 Definitely not. I was hoping to simplify things, not complicate them. We
29 have a list of flags that can be enabled for each package. As a general
30 principle, it makes sense to either (a) disable them all by default, or
31 (b) enable them all by default. Having what is essentially a random
32 selection enabled by default for each package is chaos.
35 > I still think that we shouldn't encourage users to lightly deviate
36 > from all the upstream defaults.
37
38 Deviating from upstream defaults is why we have USE flags in the first
39 place. No one really wants the upstream defaults, they want
40
41 (nothing) + (what their profile provides) + (what they enable),
42
43 not least of all because that assumption is how they came up with the
44 list of flags in (what they enable) in the first place.
45
46 If dropping an IUSE default hurts some profile, then stick the default
47 in that profile. Nothing breaks, and it's not too much work, and we get
48 back to a sane system of profile inheritance rather than having every
49 ebuild and profile trying to XOR one another.