From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 03:15:00
1 On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 20:40:38 -0500
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 02/02/2017 01:01 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
6 > > wrote:
7 > >>
8 > >> If (base == minimal), then all of the upstream defaults need to be
9 > >> added to package.use for the upstream-defaults profile. That's
10 > >> bad,
11 > >
12 > > I'll go further and say that it is unacceptably bad.
15 > Only if anyone wants an upstream-defaults profile. But nobody's asked
16 > for one, in contrast with the large number of users who want minimal.
19 > > Is there a better way we can have our cake and eat it too? I'll
20 > > admit that a huge package.use on the minimal profile isn't a whole
21 > > lot better than a huge package.use on all the other profiles.
22 >
23 > Every important upstream default is already enabled in some profile.
24 > If dropping a particular IUSE default breaks desktop systems, then
25 > that flag belongs enabled in the desktop profile. If it breaks every
26 > system, then let's keep it default.
29 How about rather changing our defaults to satisfy the minimalists who
30 don't mind drastically reduced functionality and usability in pursuit
31 of "minimalism" we just strive to make USE="-*" mostly usable, so the
32 minimalists can get what they want, while still having sane defaults.