From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 13:21:21
1 On 02/02/17 10:14 PM, Patrick McLean wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 20:40:38 -0500
3 > Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 02/02/2017 01:01 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 >>> On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
7 >>> wrote:
8 >>>>
9 >>>> If (base == minimal), then all of the upstream defaults need to be
10 >>>> added to package.use for the upstream-defaults profile. That's
11 >>>> bad,
12 >>>
13 >>> I'll go further and say that it is unacceptably bad.
14 >>>
15 >>
16 >> Only if anyone wants an upstream-defaults profile. But nobody's asked
17 >> for one, in contrast with the large number of users who want minimal.
20 >>> Is there a better way we can have our cake and eat it too? I'll
21 >>> admit that a huge package.use on the minimal profile isn't a whole
22 >>> lot better than a huge package.use on all the other profiles.
23 >>
24 >> Every important upstream default is already enabled in some profile.
25 >> If dropping a particular IUSE default breaks desktop systems, then
26 >> that flag belongs enabled in the desktop profile. If it breaks every
27 >> system, then let's keep it default.
30 > How about rather changing our defaults to satisfy the minimalists who
31 > don't mind drastically reduced functionality and usability in pursuit
32 > of "minimalism" we just strive to make USE="-*" mostly usable, so the
33 > minimalists can get what they want, while still having sane defaults.
36 I'm in favour of this too -- I know we don't "officially" support
37 USE="-*" but I think we should still strive to make it work with
38 minimal effort to end-users -- that effort being mainly setting
39 whatever is necessary for REQUIRED_USE resolution.