From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Why lastrite when it works? (Was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages up for grabs due to retirement)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 14:16:57
1 On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 12:05:10 PM EST Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 16:00:52 +0700 (+07)
3 >
4 > grozin@g.o wrote:
5 > > On Mon, 2 Jan 2017, Brian Evans wrote:
6 > > > IMO, this one should be given last-rites as upstream is dead and it
7 > > > heavily depends on wireless-tools and WEXT.
8 > >
9 > > I use it on 2 notebooks. It works fine, and is (from my point of view) the
10 > > most convenient tool to control ethernet and wifi connections on a
11 > > notebook. Why lastrite it when it works?
12 >
13 > This is the Gentoo Way™. Having a working software is not a goal.
14 > Gentoo focuses on the best bleeding edge experience and therefore
15 > highly relies on software packages that are under active development
16 > and require active maintenance. The packages in early stages of
17 > development are especially interesting since they can supply users
18 > and developers with variety of interesting bugs and unpredictable
19 > issues.
20
21 Do we have detailed treatise documenting the points and counterpoints to "Why
22 lastrite it when it works?" It's a question that comes up every month or two,
23 and the reasons, for and against, are probably mature enough to get numbers,
24 now.
25
26 Reason #3 in favor: "It works for me" may only be valid from a particular
27 perspective. Without active maintenance, there may be subtle bugs that aren't
28 immediately obvious. Bugs that aren't immediately obvious aren't always
29 innocuous; sometimes they're insidious background data loss. Other times, they
30 might be security vulnerabilities no good guy has yet noticed.