From: Damien LEVAC <damien.levac@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Why lastrite when it works? (Was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages up for grabs due to retirement)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 14:24:30
1 On 01/03/2017 09:14 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 12:05:10 PM EST Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 16:00:52 +0700 (+07)
4 >>
5 >> grozin@g.o wrote:
6 >>> On Mon, 2 Jan 2017, Brian Evans wrote:
7 >>>> IMO, this one should be given last-rites as upstream is dead and it
8 >>>> heavily depends on wireless-tools and WEXT.
9 >>> I use it on 2 notebooks. It works fine, and is (from my point of view) the
10 >>> most convenient tool to control ethernet and wifi connections on a
11 >>> notebook. Why lastrite it when it works?
12 >> This is the Gentoo Way™. Having a working software is not a goal.
13 >> Gentoo focuses on the best bleeding edge experience and therefore
14 >> highly relies on software packages that are under active development
15 >> and require active maintenance. The packages in early stages of
16 >> development are especially interesting since they can supply users
17 >> and developers with variety of interesting bugs and unpredictable
18 >> issues.
19 > Do we have detailed treatise documenting the points and counterpoints to "Why
20 > lastrite it when it works?" It's a question that comes up every month or two,
21 > and the reasons, for and against, are probably mature enough to get numbers,
22 > now.
23 >
24 > Reason #3 in favor: "It works for me" may only be valid from a particular
25 > perspective. Without active maintenance, there may be subtle bugs that aren't
26 > immediately obvious. Bugs that aren't immediately obvious aren't always
27 > innocuous; sometimes they're insidious background data loss. Other times, they
28 > might be security vulnerabilities no good guy has yet noticed.
29 ...and sometimes a package just stop being "actively" maintained because
30 it is feature-complete (as far as the goals of the project were
31 concerned) and just works.
32
33 The minimum conditions to lastrite something should be not actively
34 maintained _and_ with open bugs that either compromise security or
35 affect normal usage subject to the condition that it is not still used
36 by users. I do not think at this point in time Gentoo devs have any mean
37 to know the popularity of different packages, but that would be a must
38 to take proper decision as far as retiring packages goes.
39
40 -- Just a random Gentoo user.