From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Why lastrite when it works? (Was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages up for grabs due to retirement)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 15:00:07
1 On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 9:24:19 AM EST Damien LEVAC wrote:
2 > On 01/03/2017 09:14 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 12:05:10 PM EST Michał Górny wrote:
4 > >> On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 16:00:52 +0700 (+07)
5 > >>
6 > >> grozin@g.o wrote:
7 > >>> On Mon, 2 Jan 2017, Brian Evans wrote:
8 > >>>> IMO, this one should be given last-rites as upstream is dead and it
9 > >>>> heavily depends on wireless-tools and WEXT.
10 > >>>
11 > >>> I use it on 2 notebooks. It works fine, and is (from my point of view)
12 > >>> the
13 > >>> most convenient tool to control ethernet and wifi connections on a
14 > >>> notebook. Why lastrite it when it works?
15 > >>
16 > >> This is the Gentoo Way™. Having a working software is not a goal.
17 > >> Gentoo focuses on the best bleeding edge experience and therefore
18 > >> highly relies on software packages that are under active development
19 > >> and require active maintenance. The packages in early stages of
20 > >> development are especially interesting since they can supply users
21 > >> and developers with variety of interesting bugs and unpredictable
22 > >> issues.
23 > >
24 > > Do we have detailed treatise documenting the points and counterpoints to
25 > > "Why lastrite it when it works?" It's a question that comes up every
26 > > month or two, and the reasons, for and against, are probably mature
27 > > enough to get numbers, now.
28 > >
29 > > Reason #3 in favor: "It works for me" may only be valid from a particular
30 > > perspective. Without active maintenance, there may be subtle bugs that
31 > > aren't immediately obvious. Bugs that aren't immediately obvious aren't
32 > > always innocuous; sometimes they're insidious background data loss. Other
33 > > times, they might be security vulnerabilities no good guy has yet
34 > > noticed.
35 >
36 > ...and sometimes a package just stop being "actively" maintained because
37 > it is feature-complete (as far as the goals of the project were
38 > concerned) and just works.
39 >
40 > The minimum conditions to lastrite something should be not actively
41 > maintained _and_ with open bugs
42
43 What happens when the bugs exist, but nobody knows they're there? Let's say
44 someone got a copy of Coverity and ran it on long-stable, ridiculously mature
45 packages. They get a bunch of hits, but they keep it to themselves and instead
46 develop exploits for the bugs they found.
47
48 For security's sake, even mature software needs, at minimum, routine auditing.
49 Unless someone's doing that work, the package should be considered for
50 removal. (Call that reason # π, in honor of TeX.)
51
52 (I'm really not trying to start yet another massive thread on the subject,
53 hence my original question: Do we have a documented treatise on the question?
54 Not "Gentoo's Official Policy", but rather the rationales and counterpoints?)